This will be the wave of the future. Remote computer technical support. Approximately 98% of all PC problems are software related which means that a technician can remote into your PC and fix those issues. There is one catch… You must have a working internet connection.
Problems that can be fixed remotely include but are not limited to:
- Virus / Spyware Removal
- Optimizing Your Computer To It’s Peak Performance Level
- New Software Installation & Configuration
- Data Backup Configuration
- Peripheral Installation (e.g. Printers, Scanners, Digital Cameras etc…)
- Computer Training
- New Computer Setup – If you’ve bought a new pc recently you know how it is bloated with junk trial software that just slows it down right out of the box.
- And the one thing people don’t know about is networking. Yes, through a remote connection, a technician can setup and configure a home or business network. From file & printer sharing to router configuration.
A big reservation people have is allowing a person they’ve never met before access to their PC which has their personal data. It really is no different than taking your PC to a local repair shop and dropping it off. Wait, there is one difference that is actually an advantage. During a remote session you can actually observe what the technician is doing and maybe pick up some pointers along the way.
Here are some tips to finding the right company to do your remote repairs:
- Fees… Make sure they don’t charge by the hour.
- Always check they offer some kind of guarantee. If the same problem returns they should be obligated to fix it at no extra charge.
- Always have a consultation with the company before you begin. They need to first determine that your problem can be fixed remotely.
- Payment is usually made over the phone with a credit card before the session begins. That is to protect the company from people just shutting down their computers after the repair and the company just lost money for their services.
- They should offer some kind of phone technical support after the repair. Just in case you might have some questions. The phone tech support should be free.
Most companies will let you know that after the remote session has ended, they cannot access your computer again unless you grant them that access. So you should feel safe that they are not going to go back in when you are not looking and gain access to personal data.